A dough nut

"Can I've a donut please?" 

I was very new in Australia, and still not sure of my pronunciation of new things. 

Pronouncing 'do', just as do in 'I do' , I had put emphasis on 'do' , do: with a u: sound instead of 'oh', like dough.

The shop assistant giving a disapproving look to me, said,  "oh do you mean a do (oh) nut"! 

Feeling completely flabbergasted I said, " yes, I do"  pronouncing my  'dough' as 'do'! 


English!!! 


vague, tongue and argue - all ending with gue but pronounced so differently!


Sir this point is a bit vaguu;!


You fool, it is not vagu:, it is vague!


Sorry sir, it was just a slip of tonguu:!


Oh, ok, don't arg! The Professor said! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

The day a bird followed me home part 5