Story - part 2

Yes, I was just the witness, who had witnessed it all. Her life, her youth, her happiness, her miseries, and  her helplessness!

And today, I was going to witness what will break her heart, and would literally break me, completely! 

Her son had left the paper and the pen right there, for her to sign. She had lied down again feeling weak, sad and abandoned. I could hear her crying. 

My Babli, yes, she was now frail with age too, but she was still so beautiful, soft and loving, and my love for her had now reached yet another height, I was able to feel her pain and hear her unspoken  words even, and I was very protective of her.

She was whispering about the deed, her son had asked her to sign, and remembering her son's father, who had left her alone to face it all in her old age. 

The house had to be sold. Yes, and she had to leave, this house, this city, where she had come as a bride 50 years ago, an 18 year old young bride. 

We had hardly been separated during this period of 50 years, as I had come with her, all those years ago, and we had both gone through this all together. Getting old together!  But never had it been so bad, it seemed that the end was near, yes for both of us! 

She had decided not to sign. But that meant, he would leave her there, alone, to face the lone sharks, who had appeared from nowhere, in the past 5 years. They demanded their money, that presumably she had taken from them, but that neither of us could remember. 

And the second option was to sell. Pay the debts, and move to an old age home. He had promised to settle it all, along with her, and visit her, send her letters, and to love her! 

It was a hard choice, stuck between the hard rock and a wall! 

What can she do?

What can I do? 

She sobbed into the pillow, and I squirmed with frustration. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

The day a bird followed me home part 5