Story part 3

Somehow, after such a stormy start to the day, the afternoon had turned out to be very different. Yes, a contrast to the morning, and the previous evening. 

After a lot of commotion, with her son stomping around angry and really upset with her, about the paper she had to sign, and she, lying down, crying and refusing to sign, or to get out of the room, suddenly it was quiet, so quiet that I doubted if anyone other than Babli, sitting on the chair outside in the veranda, was there in the house. 

She had refused to sign the paper, that much I knew, but then what had happened, those details, I had no way of knowing, but this much, I had gathered that her son had gone back, yes back from where he had come! 

And with him, gone was the heavy atmosphere; and suddenly there was a beautiful light and a peaceful silence. 

Peaceful, as after days, Babli was sitting in the veranda, having a cup of tea. She must have asked the cook to get her the tea, because the tray was on the little table beside her. The cook must have been relieved too. She had her job, and a place to stay for yet another day. She must be now busy cooking dinner. 

All normal! 

And this morning, it had seemed such a touch and go situation. 

Babli had also put it all behind her, it seemed. She poured another cup of tea for herself and as she turned to pick up the little jug of milk, she looked in the general direction of her bedroom and she smiled. Yes, she smiled at me! My heart fluttered. 

And suddenly, I knew, what she was thinking, as her face looked so calm. It was glowing. As she was smiling. She must have decided something, some way to get out of this situation!

I sighed with relief, and as my own body started to relax, I started to think.  

Now, what she could have done to save all of us, she had done that, it was now my turn to do, what I could do! Yes, I had to think, think hard, as from my sedentary place from the bedroom what else could I do! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

The day a bird followed me home part 5