Story - part 4

Think, think, yes, if you can't do anything else, you can at least think.  That's what I said to myself. 

Think and remember. There is something always in the past that explains something else in the future. I'm sure I had heard it said more than once right here in this room. 

Don't forget where you came from, don't forget who you are and what you had brought with you.

Yes, I had heard it a few times, something like this and also that you brought nothing, something like that too. 

Confusing but am sure it was a wise saying! 

So, what do we need from our past to solve this predicament that we were in. 

What did I bring with me maybe nothing! 

What did she bring with her?

I was thinking about the past something in our collective past that could hint at a solution to our problem. 

I was thinking hard, so hard that my body started to shake a bit. 

Babli looked at me and said, 

"Yes, we need to think hard, find a solution. 

We need money, a lot of it, so the house is not sold. 

Otherwise we are going to the pawn shop, to pay the sharks, both of us", and she laughed at her own joke.  

She had already given her jewellery to his children at their weddings. 

She had signed a paper five years ago, that I vaguely remember when her children had come for their father's funeral. 

The children had at that time too, asked her to come away with them, and spend her old age with them, playing with her grandchildren. 

She had looked around her house, her room, and me, Im sure, and had said to them, 

"I am happy living here, I have my past buried in this house that I can't leave. Don't worry I'll be alright.". 

Yes, she had a lot here, 50 years of stuff, and memories not only buried but hovering around, walking close to the walls, hiding behind the doors, peeping from the top shelves of her cupboard, all around her and me!  

She couldn't leave it all. She would die, if she did! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

The day a bird followed me home part 5