The day a bird followed me home!

That was the day when a bird followed me home for the first time. 

I had not realised, there was someone behind me as I walked at leisure listening to an interesting podcast, most probably, an audiobook, on my phone, but right at the front door of my house, when I turned to get my keys out of the handbag, I was startled as I saw it, right there in the middle of the path that I had just covered, it was there. 

It had not been there a minute ago, so where did it come from, I was wondering, it was facing me, it must have been behind me, I realised. 

It was a cockatoo. A yellow crusted one. 

I tried to shoo it away, but it just stood there, its beady black eyes looking at me. I had seen a few of them in the park this afternoon, but hadn't taken much notice of them.

At least I hadn't been afraid of them, but now while there was just one of them, I was feeling uneasy. I quickly opened the door and got into my house, shutting the door behind me quickly. 

I didn't want to give the incident much importance, so I didn't check out of the window immediately to check if it was still there, and went to the bathroom, then put the kettle on, and then I opened the curtain to look outside, and there it was, still there. 

I was a bit scared now, maybe not scared, but it was more than being uneasy, I turned back to the kettle and made a cup of tea for myself and then before going to the other room, just casually checked outside, there was nothing there. 

So if there had actually been a bird standing in the middle of the path, earlier, I was already doubting myself, now, there was no one. The bird was gone. I heaved a sigh of relief and tried to forget about it. Switching on the TV for the 5 o' clock news, I took my shoes off and settled on the sofa to listen to what had been happening in the city, and around the world. that day. 

Later, I must have cooked dinner and enjoyed a good night's sleep, as I didn't remember much of the rest of the day. 

It was just a very ordinary, unmemorable rest of the day. I almost forgot about the bird following me. 

Till the next time. 

This time, it was not a cockatoo but an ibis standing there right in the middle of the path leading to my front door, facing me. 

It must have followed me home.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

The day a bird followed me home part 5