I don't want to

The sound of that voice, "I don't want to", like a shriek, a helpless cry, stopped me in my tracks, I was out jogging, and had just crossed the duo, a man and a little girl, walking on the side of the road, and my heart almost stopped. Such familiar words, "I don't want to", and a helpless child, a girl, and I started jogging a bit slowly, remaining close to them, but soon, they turned towards the shops, while my path was leading me to the park. 

I jogged slowly towards the park, but then from the next street, my feet automatically turned towards the shops, and I saw them coming, and I went inside the street to let them catch up with me, and then started to follow them, sometimes I overtook them, went around the block, and then again caught up with them. I just wanted to know what was happening, and whether, the girl was safe.

I was thinking, that the girl is being taken somewhere without her consent, she was unhappy, and may be abused, her mother had gone to work, or somewhere, leaving with her boyfriend, or husband, this man, he could be the girl's father, or step father, or an uncle, who was he? I wanted to know.

And now they had started to walk faster, the girl carrying a teddy bear in one had, with her pony tail bouncing behind her, was almost running to catch up with the man, who was holding her hand. 

They seemed to have reached their destination. It was the local café. I usually don't drink coffee so early, and don't usually 'buy' coffee, but I decided to go in. 

My eyes were searching for them, as I entered, but then I also avoided looking in their general direction, as I didn't want 'him' to be suspicious, as I was going to catch him red handed, or something, I didn't know what, but just that I was there, and the girl was safe! 

I went to place an order so I could stand and look at them, I paid with my phone, and while waiting for my chai latte, I turned casually and then looked towards them, the girl was sitting with a woman, while the man had come to order as well. The girl was telling some story to her mother, or who ever this woman was, and looked quite animated, when the man called from the counter, "So you sure Honey, you don't want a milkshake?" 

"No, I told you, I don't want to have a milkshake here, I want to go to McDonald"!

"Ok, two café latte to go", the man ordered, paid and stood there waiting for his order, our eyes met, and he smiled at me. For some reason, his order first came through, and they left with the girl running ahead of her parents. 

It was quite early for me, but I decided to sit there for a while, my mind was already on to the next page of my story!

"The mother met them here, because she is... ," 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

The day a bird followed me home part 5