The day, a bird followed me home part 2

It was exactly after four weeks, when, while walking back from work, I realised there was someone behind me and when I turned around, yes, an ibis was there right behind me. It had its one claw raised a bit, as if I had caught it in motion. 

It was a neat looking ibis, its hard black long beak turned a bit inside, its almost white with a bit of beige feathers ironed on its both sides. Its head was shiny, and it's eyes were soot black, with mauve circles around them, and the way it looked at me, sent a shiver down my back. It was a very wise look, a bit sad. 

And for some reason, I remembered, yes, sad and wise go together. 

Wisdom brings sadness, as you know. And with a few centuries' knowledge (as I would go home and read a bit about ibis birds), no wonder there was this sadness oozing its demeanour, especially, its sad eyes, and that knowing look penetrated me, as if reflecting some sadness in me too.  

This time, I was not scared but really heavy with some unknown sadness. I wanted to talk to this bird, and ask, their side of the story. What had happened in their lives,  the collective life time of the ibis, their fall from the pedestal of being sacred to, disliked, so much, to be known as the scavengers, the bin chickens.  What happened? I asked with my eyes. 

Instead of rushing in as I had done the last time, I actually sat down on the step, and waited for the bird to take its next move. I wanted to know, what the bird wanted, I wanted to do something, but was not sure what. 

And the bird just stood there, looking at me, and I was about to coo to make it comfortable, when my phone rang, and due to this reflex action of attending to the phone over anything else around us, I grabbed the phone, and looked at the screen, it was an unknown number so I just disconnected it, and when I looked up, the bird was gone. 

I kept sitting there for a while, and then slowly, I got up to go inside. I opened the door, and entered my lonely life, worried about, sad about the affairs of the birds, people, migratory birds and children, and all in an environmentally deteriorating world which is a sad place, full of disease, danger and depression. 

What was the reason these birds had followed me home? 

I wanted to find out. 


So, I decided to do some research. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

The day a bird followed me home part 5