The day a bird followed me home part 4

 

So why did a bird follow me? 

I was thinking, and that too on two different days, and two different birds. One day a Cockatoo, and then four weeks later, an ibis had followed me home. 

I wanted to know why they had done that. 

Even after a lot of research on the internet, I was still nowhere. 

The connection between these two days, that birds had followed me home, was the first and the only piece of research I had gathered and other than that I couldn't think of anything else to build any theory. 

And then I struck gold.

These two days when the two birds had followed me home, also had another connection. Both had evoked two different and quite strong emotions in me, fear, and sadness. 

In both cases, there was this feeling of loss, the fear, the urgency to get away. 

How was I feeling that day when I met the cockatoo, walking right there behind me. 

And for some reason, I had been scared, afraid of it, or had it make me realise something else that I was afraid of? 

I was wondering. 

And then I decided, actually the internet decided to guide me, to check aboriginal stories, if they had something that might help me to explain. 

Cockatoo, especially the black Cockatoo was the sad bird, with a pal of grief around it, with its sad sounds Kraw Kraw! 

And the white cockatoo, the common one with a sulphur coloured crown, was the first bird to die, and also the first bird to accompany the dead, so the association was very much with death in dreaming, and then another story, but of survival, when caught in a flood, not knowing how to swim, a woman dug her self a hole at the top of a tree, creating a nest to hide, and that woman became the first cockatoo. 

An ibis, was about repentance  remorse over the death of a young relative, that forces a man to kill himself by falling into a creek, and he became the first ibis. 

Had a dug myself a hole to run away from something, what had been the background of my own fear that day? I started to think.

I thought, have I had such an experience, which left this residue of fear, some trauma in me?

When I was a child, Or was it something in my adult life, that had made me afraid that day.










11-CS19_Aboriginal_Dreamtime_SA1.pdf (wetrocks.com.au)

Ancient tales of Perth's fascinating birds (smh.com.au)

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita) (mdahlem.net)

Comments

  1. The intriguing way you connect the story i am in awe of it and learn from it, thanks for writing this bua.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

The day a bird followed me home part 5