I'm not a Failure

Yes, usually, I woke up a bit late

and missed the bus, or

the train or whatever proverbial I had to catch

So by the time I got there, wherever I had to be,

the bell had gone, the seats were taken, 

and the doors were already shut.

yes, always missing out.

And sometimes, I went to sleep a bit early, 

and didn't see the glowing misty circle around the moon 

to know that it will rain today.

So came home

soaking wet, a bedraggled

un glamourous, ugly and uncomfortable wet cat.

I was told.


Always bringing stray dogs home

Always tarrying on the way to school 

Losing my pencils and my ribbons

Drawing and doodling in maths book

Giving away my lunch

Forgetting to do the homework

And day dreaming in the class


Or the days when I went to bed too late 

to miss my early morning bonanza

the sun rise, the birds chirping, the bus arriving.

I missed it always, I was told.


Yes, you are a failure.

You are never going to get anywhere,

You need to work harder, sleep less, or sleep more.

You need to be on time, before time, and not waste time.

You'll always miss the bus.


Though, I didn't feel that way.

I stayed up till late to look at the stars, 

making my way into the milky way

walking on the moonlight 

shimmering in the starlit sky.


And sometimes, I woke up really early 

to walk in the misty mornings

to wait for the morning glow

to turn into sunlight

to wake the sleeping birds and butterflies

to watch the little mouse 

digging a tunnel to the other end of this world.

or to find the lost pearl earrings 

that a fairy had dropped there at night.


I loved the rain drops on my skin, 

the misty fog tangling my hair, 

my brisk walk

radiating my cheeks with a blush

I felt beautiful, I felt free. I felt loved

as I cuddled the puppy 

who had followed me home


Not ugly

Not late.

Not a failure.

 


written for the failure prompt 

Comments

  1. Yes, Nobody is a failure. there is more to life than meets the eye. Wonderful composition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a perception, just like happiness. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

Tikku and the lost pages part 1