Secrets, lies and truths!

 Secrets don’t lie, but they become lies, that we keep telling ourselves. This poem is inspired by the prompt of course, but much before that a comment I had left on Hart’s article, had kept me thinking, and I wanted to extend that conversation.

The shadow lane

There were no words to express how I felt

at this betrayal of my faith

Actually words were there, and I did shout,

but something remained choked into my throat,

I could’ve, but I didn’t spit it out!

Because, if I had, and said it all,

the words might have broken a lot

yes, the sacred ties of relations,

were among them,

it was too high a stake

that I dared not take!

I carried them, buried in my heart,

and inside me,

they remained dormant,

like the seeds of a bitter harvest

nourished by my silent tears

and warmed by my sunny smiles!!

In this optimum condition

my secret grew to flourish later

and there on the right side of my breast

a bunch of lies

started to flower outside me!!

I stood in front of a mirror

flourishing my flawless body

for one last time,

before putting my dreams

to bed

locked in the cupboard

on its highest shelf,

And I saw my fleeting days of youth

gone with a whiff of a cruel wind

that blew over something I had cherished

more than my own self.

With my feverish and delirious body

holding on to my famished self

while waiting for them to cut out the growth,

I was hoping that

the secret didn’t spill out with its fruit,

as it had by then become my truth!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a woman

Contentment

Tikku and the lost pages part 1